Monday, April 21, 2008

Hangtree Woods, a setting for Werewolf Wild West

PDF version can be found her.


Introduction

This is a setting I made (with help from others) to run a four evening mini campaign. We had a lot of fun playing this, and I hope others can enjoy it as well. You may use or abuse the contents of this document as you wish. It should be unnecessary to say: The content of this setting/senario is pure fiction.

You will have to do some work before you can use this setting yourself, but most of it is done for you through this document.

If you really enjoyed this document, or just have some money to spare, may I suggest that you make a donation to Wikipedia.org in my name http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Credits

I (Marius F) wrote this document with a lot of help from Anne L. Also my players (Solveig L, Eli L, Stig M and Therese K) aided a considerably, especially with the two game resumes. Lars K, unknowingly aided this campaign in that I stole some of his ideas (Choking Death and Drowning Lake among other things).

Timeline

1829

Kingston lynching and abandonment of Summerville

1835

Rancher's rebellion in Alba and re-settlement of Summerville

1836

A small deposit of gold is found next to the lake

1837

Hangtree Woods is founded/named

Mr. Cambel starts a large-scale mining operation

1839

The Cambel mining operation is abandoned after the workers flee, claiming it is cursed.

1846

Now!

Background and History WOODS

Summerville

In 1835 Summerville was but a ghost town. The former inhabitants had all fled five years earlier. Rumours had it that there were inexplicable things going on, and that the place was haunted or possessed.

Because all the strange things started to happen at about the time the Kingston family built a mansion here, many assumed that they were responsible. The situation got so tense that it resulted in a lynching of the family. Yet, the town had not seen the last of the Kingston’s.

The next night all the men in the Kingston family dug themselves out of their shallow graves behind the mansion. Enraged by the atrocity committed against their family, they entered town armed with shotguns and knives. Each night the living dead would return to haunt the town, they would scratch and scream until they had claimed at least one life each that they could bring back to the ban’s lair under their mansion. It was the banes here that had enabled the Kingston’s to raise from their graves. The inhabitants started to flee.

Charli Two-Hawk, an Indian living behind the general store, was too afraid to confront the Kingstons alone. He kept his distance, but when the Kingston’s maimed and killed his childhood sweetheart, Maylil, it all changed. After a prolonged fight he put them to rest a second time. This time he buried them in the cemetery next to the newly burned down church. He buried his childhood sweetheart on the opposite side of the cemetery. He could not bear to leave this place with all its bittersweet memories and was the only one to remain while all the others fled.

Hangtree Woods

Sam Irons was a reputable sheriff in Alba, until the spring rebellion in 1835. During the rebellion, four powerful ranchers overthrew the local government. The ranchers chased Sam Irons, his deputies and a few supporters out of town. They headed west, where they settled in an abandoned settlement near a stream seven hours west of Alba. The abandone settlement had once been called Summerville, but would later be known as Hangtree Woods.

Sam Irons and his allies decided this would be the perfect place to settle, as they reckoned that the town's bad reputation would keep intruders away. It worked for a couple of months, giving them enough time to rebuild the town and regroup.

During autumn, Alba sent a raiding party to the new settlement, wanting to crush the opposition once and for all. After a short and bloody battle, the raiding party returned home to Alba, their numbers greatly diminished. The bodies of their fallen raiders where hung from the trees outside the new settlement by the Sheriff and his deputies. Travellers or raiders from Alba would pass through these woods, and see the bodies of their dead friends hanging from trees in the woods, soaked in tar as a permanent remainder that they were not welcome. Travellers from other places would not need to pass through the Hangtree Woods[1].

While creating foundations for a fishing outpost next to the lake, north of Summerville, John Weems found a small deposit of gold. Believing that he had struck rich, he immediately travelled to Midway, two days south of the settlement, where he bought prospecting tools, paying for them with the gold nuggets. Rumours about gold near the lake spread like wild fire. By summer of 1836, a few months after John Weems found gold, the town was seeing a large amount of fortune seekers. New houses were erected at record-breaking speed.

Sam Irons became the self-appointed sheriff and mayor of the settlement. He maintained law and order throughout this period of expansion. Soon the settlement had a general store, saloon and brothel. Friday the 13th of January 1837, the two pranksters and immigrants John and Peter wrote “Welcome to Hangtree Woods” in pig's blood on their barn in the outskirts of the town. This sparked a discussion about the town’s name. Until that day it had been a nameless settlement, as only Two-Hawk Charlie remembered its previous name. The discussion raged for weeks, all the time the gruesome text greeted all who came to town, and it was de facto named Hangtree Woods. Every Friday the 13th, the two pranksters rewrite their greetings on the outmost house of town.

Cambell Mining and Minerals

New prospectors had a hard time finding available places along the river. They expanded to the banks of the lake, and later up into the mountains west of the lake. Three prospectors Allan, Morgan and Jameson - found a large deposit of gold in the mountains on their claims west of the Lake. A few months later, in May 1837, agents of Mr. Cambell of Cambell Mining came to town and sought to buy the claims of the fortunate prospectors.

Morgan sold immediately, and bought a large house in town. Agents of Mr. Cambell tried to coerce the remaining two prospectors to surrender their claims, but was largely unsuccessful. Allan had an unfortunate accident, but no investigation was launched even though he had died under suspicious circumstances. His claim was taken over by Jameson in accordance with his will. After this, threats were made against the Jameson’s life.

Sam Irons had long since forsaken his honor and been corrupted by the power of his new position. He had taken Mr. Cambell’s money and was only so happy to look the other way. After all what had honor and honesty gotten him in Alba, when he needed the people of Alba to stand up for him and justice, they had covered in fear of the ranchers.

In the end, Jameson sold his claims, and fled town a week before Mr. Cambell arrived. No one ever heard from the prospector again.

Immediately after the arrival of Mr. Cambell, a large-scale mining operation was started in the mountains. Numerous Chinese immigrants were brought to town to carve the precious mineral from the mountain. Week by endless week, they dug deeper, oblivious of the corrupted heart of the mountain.

The spirit known as Chocking Death was bound in the mountain by shamans of four different native American tribes. This fact was long forgotten, but even if it had been known, the greed of man would have kept them digging.

Four Chinamen chocked to death in the deepest shaft of the mine in November 1839. This was the first incident in which the mine claimed more than one life in a day. The next day three more died in the same shaft. In the weeks that followed, a dozen Chinamen lost their life. In the end, none of the Chinese would enter the shaft, claiming it was cursed. Not even to retrieve their dead comrades would they enter. Feasting on the soul of the Chinamen, Chocking Death grew in strength. It was able to spread its influence throughout the mines. The spirit claimed more and more lives, until no one - not even the greediest miner - dared enter the damp tunnels.

The mining camp was abandoned shortly after. The buildings were left in a rush, equipment laying everywhere. Over the years, some poor fellas have claimed the tools for them selves and suffered a chocking death, some have even taken the planks from the mess hall and brought the curse home with them. But most of the buildings remain as hey were back in 1839, only in worse condition for the weather.

away from it. Those poor, white kids, they lived lives more interesting than they'd ever believe, but with my ability to bring forth a smile and a laugh I was always forgiven.

It was during this period that my mother taught me about the spirits and how to live off the land. The mother of the household taught me practical things that every woman should know, husbandry, housework and a little bit of first aid. The father for the most part let me do whatever I wanted to do.

Nothing lasts. All of 7 years I was happy before my world turned on it's head. One of those travellers that sought refuge with us died one night. He had fought for a long time, but to no avail... He was burned with his possessions but it was too late... Soon my whole extended family lay dying. The smallpox were without mercy, but I was never affected. I did as best I could to comfort them, but soon six newly dug graves were my only company. The animals had died while I tried to save those that meant the world to me. I gathered what belongings I could carry and left.

Life wasn't easy alone, but I got lucky. I had found a place with yellow rocks. I had learned that they were popular among the white population and now and again I would walk into one of the nearest cities and trade these rocks for food and clothes and other things I might need. I learned about alcohol and gambling and I learnt to hate how these things stole my control. How they got you to do things you'd normally never do. For 4 years this was the life I knew but then one day, the rage would come and I would learn that there was a new world out there.

I was on my way home from one of my trips to the city. It was night and I had made camp. I was awoken by a horse neighing and as I opened my eyes, I stared right into the face of a man.... and the muzzle of a gun. There where five of them with horses and weapons. They wanted my gold and I promised it to them... They wanted my body and I went berserk. My world turned into a red haze, a place filled with enemies and they all had to die.

I came to myself again. I felt strong, I felt powerful... I felt sick. I was covered in blood. Bits of intestine hanging from my fingers. Horses and men strewn about me. I closed my eyes and let out a long mournful cry... and it was answered.

I am Sequoia To-Tongues. Ragabash of Uktena and this was my life as a human.



[1] Hangtree Woods first became the name of the small forrest outside the new settlement (placed on top of the old settlement of Summerville) later the settlement would also be named after the woods. At present there is two Hangtree Woods, the town and the woods.

No comments: