Monday, August 15, 2011

Railroading or Trainstationing

Railroading is among the least flattering ways of describing a plot line in RPG. Still there is a whole lot of scenarios for sale that do just that. I have been thinking about this for a while, and evaluating my own way of preparing a scenario. I have concluded that my style is more trainstaion system.

Where in the players are given choices, and based up on them there is a certain flavor of railroad tracks that has to be conquered before they arrive at the next station. I plan this out in various details, often hoping the players will make the "right" choice. Right in this context is for me the choice that will give the most entertaining story. However, I try to keep an open mind about the choiches to give the players freedom to choose. I often write my notes as a diagram of such choices.

No comments: